Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 1 in Bethel, Alaska

I arrived here in Bethel, Alaska lastnight.  Oh wowzers, I was horrified.  I cried myself to sleep.  I am extremely homesick, but I know this is all for my family. 
Bethel is different then what I am used to. I am used to the Fairbanks part of Alaska.  The more civilized areas still has a lot of culture.

Bethel, Alaska
Everyone has been really nice here.  Very informative.  I found out today that drowning is huge here.  There is a big river here that freezes during the winter time, this river also becomes a "road" to other surrounding villages.  When people start driving on these "roads", sometimes the ice will break and they fall in the freezing water, hypothermia sets in fast because the water is above the heart.  Also during the spring and summer months kids play near the water, and therefor drown because they do not know how to swim. 

No comments:

Post a Comment